Thursday, February 27, 2014

L.A. Trip Part 1

My darling husband and I did not get to take a vacation in 2013. He has been super busy in his job, so we were confined to day trips within radius of home. I, on the other hand, did board a plane and fly across the continent to attend a doll convention. This was my first trip to California and my first Integrity Toys Convention.

I arrived at LAX the day before the shooting. I am forever grateful the shooter didn't choose that day to make his statement.


The hotel was fantastic! The convention was held at The Century Plaza in Century City and it was a grand place for a doll convention! Kudos to Jason Wu and Integrity Toys for selecting such fine accommodations for the conventioneers! From the Starbuck's in the lobby to the beds (which were just fabulous!) to the meals served at every convention event, I am certain you couldn't do better. The staff was friendly and helpful, whether you called the front desk for something as mundane as how to turn the lamp on or stopped housekeeping in the hall to ask for more body lotion! Great people!

 I loved the room! The beds were ultra comfortable and, even though I was on East Coast Time, I slept like a baby and felt rested and ready to play every day! I shared my room with an amazing woman who is making quite a name for herself in the world of doll photography. In fact, she has actually raised the bar with her unique photographic style. She lives in Burbank and has won an Emmy for a short film she directed, "Change For A Dollar," and she is a fascinating human being. I was so blessed to have this chance to get to know her and watch her work! She's inspiring! Her name? Sharon Wright. Check out her Facebook page with doll pics here or visit her flickr page here to see what I'm talking about.

 Back to the convention! There were dinners every night, each with a different theme. My favorite, of course, was the Poppy Parker Luncheon, as she's the doll that drew me here. I was not a Fashion Royalty collector, but now I have five. And, it's a sure bet there will be more! As for the Poppy Luncheon, it was all a girl could ask for! Great food, beautiful dolls, new friends and so much fun!
Sharon's "Mini Me" and my first Poppy, Coney Island

There was shopping. Wait.
THERE WAS SHOPPING!
Integrity Toys hosted a salesroom that offered Fashion Royalty dolls, Dynamite Girls, Jem dolls, and, of course, Poppy Parker dolls! There were one of a kind dolls and dioramas that had been entered into a contest and every convention attendant had the opportunity to vote for their favorite. There was room shopping, too! Doll clothes, accessories, furniture, and more dolls were available throughout the hotel as guests opened their rooms for shopping! It was so much fun!
 Then, on the final night of the convention, the table doll was Black Orchid Vanessa Perrin wearing a reproduction of an original Jason Wu design. Yes, you had to buy the doll if you wanted to add her to your collection, but your number had to be called. My number, 9, was the first number called and I snapped that girl up and brought her home with me. And, yes! I got Jason Wu to sign her. Not the box. No. No. The doll! He signed her back in gold ink!

I have decided I will attend the Integrity Toys Convention in 2014 in Orlando, and I'll be attending with a couple of my favorite doll friends! Saving my nickels and dimes and counting the days!

No comments:

Post a Comment