Thursday, January 6, 2011

Christmas Journey to the Pacific Northwest, Part 2

Christmas Eve in Ocean Park, Washington brought temperatures in the 40s with rain. No surprises there, right? After all, we're on the Pacific ocean in a state known for it's zillions of days of rain! No matter! We donned our winter coats and hats and took a walk on the beach. There was a wicked wind out there on that beach, but we were hungry to see, hear and smell that ocean, so we endured!
There were a lot of seagulls along the beach and a sprinkling of sandpipers, but it was too cloudy to have any hope of spotting a gray whale. Our hostess, Kathy, said she had seen whales from her window, but they usually remain further out to sea. Ah, well ... we had to settle for the beauty of the beach ...


When we set out for our walk on the beach, a woman sat at the back of the house with a camera and a very long lens. Upon our return, I would meet her and, being fellow shutterbugs, we would talk photography and become new friends. Dee Dee Murry and her sidekick, Hallie, (below) allowed me and my trusty Nikon D-80 to come along for a ride around what the locals refer to as "The Peninsula" to take pictures. I would later learn what a talented artist she is. Click on her link there and see for yourself!


We stopped along the side of a road and got out of her van and a gentle rain accompanied us as we captured images. Here's some of what I saw ...






This moss (below) grew on everything. It reminded me of the spanish moss that covers trees in central and south Florida. I wonder if the two mosses are related???
And, the day wouldn't have been complete without a fashion shoot with Miss Hallie! Not only is she exceedingly cute, but she is very well trained, which Dee Dee demonstrated while I tried to capture a shot! I hope Hallie likes it!


Christmas Eve dinner was prepared for the family by our bride-to-be and the Mathews' home was a wonderland of twinkle lights and Christmas spirit!






Kathy's family arrived for dinner in the evening and we were introduced to Dungeness Crab! Now, I love-love-love crab, (crab cakes, crab salad, crab casserole, crab straight up!) but all my crab-eating experience has been with the crabs from the Outer Banks of North Carolina and Chesapeake Bay. What a delight to be able to eat crab at Christmas so far from home! And, I admit I made a pig of myself! It was so delicious to eat and ... well ... after all, I love crab!! Didn't I say that?
What a lovely Christmas Eve it was. Thank you to the Mathews Family for making us feel at home ...

No comments:

Post a Comment