Friday, July 24, 2009

Summer Vacation Part 2

St. Augustine to Hopewell, Virginia and beyond!


Friday morning, after breakfast in St. Augustine, we hit the road (I-95) and headed north to Virginia.



This was our first stop after leaving St. Augustine! :o) We made it through Georgia and South Carolina in a record 4 hours and 40 minutes! By then we needed a bathroom break ...


and a bite to eat! My darling husband lends some perspective to the "hot dog!"


The railroad tracks that run alongside City Point in Hopewell, Virginia, a crucial location during the Civil War. Welcome to my birthplace!

Hopewell grew up as a mill town during the early twentieth century with chemical plants and paper mills along the James River. Today, in the 21st century, not much has changed ...

Highway 10 runs from Hopewell towards what's known as the Tidewater area (Newport News, Hampton Roads, Norfolk) and we took it to get to Surry to catch the ferry to Williamsburg. Along the way, I captured a few shots of places that look untouched by time. They're pretty much as I remember when I was a kid growing up around here ...


Highway 10 headed east.


A field of flowers along Highway 10. I love the way Queen Ann's Lace grows wild along the roadsides in Virginia!

No comments:

Post a Comment